Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

Le Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:44:23AM -0400, Andres Mejia a écrit :
> The current proposal for DEP 5 has this snippet for the 'Files' field.
>
> "List of space-separated globbing pathnames (see man 7 glob for more details)
> indicating files that have the same licence and share copyright holders."

Hi all,

I think that how to specifiy a list of files is in the end in the hands of the
people writing parsers. It the files are separated by space, then spaces are an
issue, and if they are separated by commas, then commas are an issues. I can
not tell the difference, as in the ~50 packages I maintain whichever did not
cause any problem at all.

With the current definition, the specification is a one-liner, but for sure we
can replace it either by another one-limer (suggestions ?) or the previous
format, that was splitting the specification for the file name and the
directory name. (‘find -name’ plus ‘find -path’)

The current advantage of space-delimited listing is that is matches the
command-line experience. For intance we do not write ‘ls src, debian’, but ‘ls
src debian’.

So, from a parser point of view, what would be preferable, escaping spaces or
commas?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy