no deprecation of /usr as a standalone filesystem

This is a summary of last month's thread about the feasibility of
removing support for /usr on a standalone filesystem.

The issue was raised by the udev upstream maintainer along with the udev
package maintainers of the major distributions, who all agreed that this
configuration is not supported.

This is relevant for udev becase kernel events can trigger the
execution of programs at the very beginning of the boot when only the
root is mounted.

While currently packages can and do easily implement workarounds for
this situation (like waiting in a loop for the files in /usr they need
to appear), in the future more complex modifications could be needed.

All things considered, I have no immediate plan to push for deprecating
a standalone /usr.

Some of the arguments mentioned in favour of a standalone /usr are:
- NFS: but it's still unclear exactly how this is managed in practice
  (apparently it requires much handwaving), and there are alternatives
  like an unionfs or really stateless clients which are probably simpler
  and better
- junk hardware: please deal with the progress. keeping around forever
  old hardware "because it still works" is not green computing
- backups: I know for a fact that decent backup software exists
- LVM and/or RAID: no real reason nowadays to not use these for the root
- mounting it read only: some people obviously like this, but it's
  hardly something irreplaceable
- dmcrypt: not crypting /usr is just an optimization. E.g. on my laptop
  I decided to crypt only /home, and use symlinks for the few files in
  /etc which contain sensitive information, YMMV.

--
ciao,
Marco