Re: Raising minimum CPU requirement for i386 kernel

On Sun May 24 19:41, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi folks
> >
> > I would like to raise the minimum CPU requirement for the shipped Linux
> > kernels in the i386 port to i686 (with cmov). For now I will not propose
> > a change of the default machine type setting used by the compiler.
>
> Raise it is non-sense. I know of many people that actively use
> machines that will lose support in this case.

I concur, I think you are dropping too many CPUs that are actively used.
It wasn't that long ago that we dropped 386 support, and non-686 CPUs
have been made (relatively) much more recently (due to things like the
Via and other cheap alternatives to Intel/AMD).

> I'm quite curious to know what is the reason for that?
>
> I think we could possible change the default kernel available on full
> CD set (if we provide an alternative image for usage by those old
> machines) and I'd also support it not being available for all
> installer flavours but I do think we can't just drop support for those
> machines.

Can't d-i autodetect CPU features and install a -686 kernel where
appropriate?

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson