Problems for packages depending on gtk+extra2

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gtk%2Bextra2.html

$ apt-cache rdepends libgtkextra-x11-2.0-1
libgtkextra-x11-2.0-1
Reverse Depends:
  quicklist
  libgtkextra-x11-2.0-dev
  libgtkextra-x11-2.0-dbg
  libgtkada2.12
  gpsim

GTK+extra is long dead upstream and the previous large reverse
dependency, scigraphica, has already been removed from Debian.
(scigraphics was IIRC, the main reason for having gtk+extra1
in the first place.)

The chances of gtk+extra2 making it into Squeeze are low, principally
because there is simply too much to do to get gtk+extra2 into any kind
of compatibility with GTK+3.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/04/msg00002.html

Any application using libgtkextra-x11-2.0-dev will already FTBFS
if the -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED flag is passed, so when those
deprecated symbols disappear in the GTK+2 to GTK+3 transition, those
problems will become permanent.

I took over upstream of quicklist prior to Lenny so that it could have
a hope of life after gtk1.2 was removed but this proved more difficult
than I expected and although the application builds against current
GTK+2, not all of the previous functionality has been restored and the
core app still needs some deprecated GTK+2 symbols. (This is a valuable
lesson in the results of an over-sentimental approach to bit-rot. It's
taught me that we are too soft on orphaned packages and dead upstreams.)

If gtk+extra2 cannot be ported to GTK+3, there is no hope of keeping
quicklist alive and I refuse to prolong the agony.

Unless someone takes on the unenviable task of updating GtkSheet and
the rest of gtk+extra2, then I will have no option but to orphan both
quicklist and gtk+extra2 with a view to removal.

The current 2.1.1-6 release of gtk+extra2 is therefore likely to be the
last - it already needs autotools hacks to keep it building. I expect
to orphan gtk+extra2 and quicklist in a couple of months time. If you
need it around, speak up soon. When I orphan quicklist in Debian, I'll
also close down the quicklist upstream at SourceForge.

If something happens to cause a FTBFS in gtk+extra2 before GTK+3
arrives, I will probably skip the orphaning stage for both the packages
and go directly for removal. Depending on how things go with GTK+3, if
the deprecated symbols are removed prior to Squeeze, the removals will
have to happen before Squeeze as well.

Only two maintainers are affected, AFAICT, but others may be interested
or concerned about the loss of these packages. I have no idea whether
these packages can be rebuilt without a dependency on gtk+extra2 or
whether the rest of the code would build without other deprecated GTK
symbols. Please don't be sentimental about gtk+extra2 or quicklist and
do not try to persuade me to keep them in - I have no intention of
spending yet more time on packages that have been left too close to the
precipice called "bit-rot". I've learnt that lesson.

dd-list:

Ludovic Brenta <lbrenta@debian.org>
   libgtkada2

Steffen Joeris <white@debian.org>