Re: [RFC] userdeb - user accounts as .debs

Hi Mark,

* [16.05.09 17:00]:
> I've been looking for a solution to the problem of duplicating my user
> environment across different machines. My search has included anything
> I could find between the extremes of "manual copying" to "cfengine",
> but until now I've not been lucky in finding anything that integrates
> nicely with Debian.
I follow a similar approach to the one you proposed, but without building new
debian packages for each time some configuration changes.

Instead, I have one debian package called ms-essential which depends on the
tools I need for working (zsh, screen, git-core, vim). Additionally, it
creates /etc/ms-essential and checks out the git repository containing my
configuration files into this folder.

Every user on the machine who wants to use the configuration files can now
call /etc/ms-essential/initialize.sh. This script moves away the old
configuration files and creates symbolic links into the git tree.

Therefore, updating the configuration files is super-easy and does not require
re-packaging.

The links to my utilities are:
http://code.stapelberg.de/git/ms-essential/ (contains the debian package)
http://code.stapelberg.de/git/configfiles/ (contains the configuration files)