Merging two source packages

Hi folks,

What's the current best-practice for merging two source packages?

Technically making the merged source package is quite simple. However, I'm
not sure what needs to happen in what order so that the transition can be
made without breaking the existing packages in the archive.

I'm interested in how to do this correctly in the general case, but here
are the details of my specific case:

Current situation (source package => binary packages):
gringotts => gringotts
libgringotts => libgringotts2, libgringotts-dev

Desired situation:
gringotts => gringotts, libgringotts2, libgringotts-dev

Specifically, there will still be the same number and names of binary
packages, but now they will be generated from a single source package. The
tricky here seems to be that gringotts depends on libgringotts2.

(I'm subscribed, but always appreciate CC's.)