Re: debian/copyright verbosity

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:50:58 +1000
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Consensus can also be gleaned from the common practice of packages
> > already in main. It is extremely common to find debian/copyright
> > contains a single list of copyright holder details and a single
> > licence statement, no matter how those copyright details are actually
> > attributed throughout the source code. It still is the default
> > template from dh_make.
>
> This tells me that there is consensus on doing what everyone else has
> done, and consensus on reducing the amount of effort put into
> ‘debian/copyright’. That's not new information; I'm looking for a
> consensus on what that file should actually *mean*, since it's clear we
> don't have agreement yet.

It should mean only what it is required to mean by the licences to
which it relates!

debian/copyright is for LICENCE declarations, first and foremost.
Copyright holder lists are incidental to the LICENCES.

> > Policy only documents existing practice - if you want to know what
> > Debian feels is the consensus on a packaging issue that is not
> > described in Policy, studying existing practice is a valid way of
> > discovering how to proceed with your own practice.
>
> This is true, but it's also true that without knowing the purpose of
> ‘debian/copyright’, the consensus will simply tend toward “don't put
> anything into it”.

No, the consensus - as expressed by myself and Manoj in this thread and
by the vast majority of debian/copyright files on your own system - is
that debian/copyright is primarily about the licences.

> Instead, it seems more relevant to me to ask: What does the information
> in it mean

The licences relating to the package.

>, what is it for

Licence compatibility assessment.

>, and how much effort do we require of each
> other to maintain it?

Write once.

> > We do not need every single stage to be laboriously mangled into
> > legalese for Policy.
>
> Likewise, we don't need the guidance to be so implicit that the
> information content spirals inexorably to zero.

> Now that we've got the ridiculous extremes out of the way, that
> presumably nobody actually supports, can we please get on with
> discussing what the actual position should be?

That debian/copyright is essentially misleadingly named and is
primarily concerned with the licences and their requirements and little
else.

File a bug against the New Maintainer Guide and get on with the rest of
your life, please.

This has gone round and round in circles long enough. Let it GO!

--

Neil Williams