Re: Improvements to ‘debian/watch’ for fetching from VCS

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 10:50:11AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> That's the trouble though. AIUI, different VCSen have different ways
> of identifying a specific state of the working tree; we have not only
> revisions, but also tags, branches, threads, heads, and probably
> others I've forgotten. Should all of those be allowed? Is that too
> complex an interface?
>
> As for “latest”: is there an unambiguous “latest” for every
> repository? What does this mean with repositories that have
> simultaneous lines of history within the same location?

Okay, but for the purposes of this file we only need two actions, right? Is the
current version the latest one we're interested in, and how can we fetch the
upstream source for the current version. If we let these two actions be scripted
through a standard interface, it should work with any repository.