Re: Request for Comments: Standardize enabling/disabling of system services

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 10:03:07PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> It feels to me like we're all kind of ignoring the current mechanism for
> enabling and disabling services that we already have.
>
> It might be useful in this conversation to seperate out two different
> ideas:

yeah, i think these two use cases are entirely seperate but unfortunately
seem to always get lumped together.  for users/admins life would be much
easier if we had a decent chkconfig implementation installed by default.  end
of problem for them.

for packagers it's a bit more complicated and my guess is update-rc.d
and invoke-rc.d will need to be extended (and possibly replaced in
the case of update-rc.d).  there's no easy way for a maintainer to
prompt the admin for whether a service should automatically start, and
even more so in most cases usually this ends up being done with some
voodoo setting in /etc/default (instead of using the init system's
features themselves).

i actually tried to do this "The Right Way" once, using only invoke-rc.d,
update-rc.d, and debconf.  it works, anyway.  if anyone's interested
take a look at the nsca package and feel free to comment.

	sean