Re: How to depend on 32bit libs on amd64? (and what to do with ia32-libs)

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:
>
>> * Goswin von Brederlow [Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:33:32 +0200]:

>> Mark Hymers has talked about providing a mechanism to ensure source
>> packages stay on the pool when other stuff has been built from them (eg.
>> kernel module packages). With this, ia32-libs could become a small
>> source package containing scripts that would download the necessary
>> binary packages at build time, and would encode in a header the employed
>> versions; then, source for those versions would not be removed from the
>> pool.
>
> Buildds don't have internet access in their build
> environment. ia32-libs may not download anything at build time. Plus
> rebuilding would give widely unreproducible results.

AFAIK you're talking about 2 architectures, so building them in another
way than on the buildds should not be hard.

I guess you mean unpredictable instead of unreproducible as building
with the same versions as mentioned in the build log should be
reproducible or ia32-libs better just gets removed from the archive
altogether... Why would it be unpredictable, what issues do you see?

> Currently the size makes regular uploads too costly imho. And the
> security team is still not supporting ia32-libs. I even did prepare an
> security upload for etch last year that they only had to sponsor but
> never heard back from the team.

A good reason to not just shoot any proposal to make that easier IMHO.

Cheers

Luk