Re: DEB_VENDOR and forks

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >  if vendor is Ubuntu:
> >     foo
> >  elif vendor is Debian:
> >     bar
> >  you face a problem when you meet:
> >  else:
> >
> >  What behavior should one use here?
>
> Debian should always be the "else" because it's the default case. It
> ensures that the lack of DEB_VENDOR results in correct package and
> also that any unknown derivatives get the Debian behaviour.

 [ There are two difference things here: I agree that if no vendor is
 set, Debian should be assumed but I don't think the choice of Debian's
 behavior for unknown vendors is the right one, I think I'd personally
 prefer erroring out to raise the issue, but that's only if there's a
 sane way to handle that properly, which could be your DEB_VENDORS
 proposal. ]

--
Loïc Minier