Re: best practice for updating inetd.conf with a user-chosen port?

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 12. März 2009, Eric Cooper wrote:
> I'm packaging approx, which for compatibility with apt-proxy defaults
> to port 9999 (not in /etc/services).  That was fine when approx, like
> apt-proxy, was run as a standalone daemon from an initscript.  But I
> just changed it to run (only) from inetd, hence this thread.

So why not keep it running on 9999? That approx uses the same port is not
really an argument, many webservers share port 80 :)

And even you want a different port, I think it's better if you choose a port,
say 9998, instead of letting the user choose (as a default thing to do).

regards,
	Holger