Re: inetd's status in Debian

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:22:50AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
> > I did propose we switch to inetd-using packages providing a
> > config file fragment in e.g. /etc/inetd.d, and having update-inetd
> > simply regenerate inetd.conf from these pieces (and it would
> > be trivial for it to preserve user edits with this mechanism),
> > and it would also be idempotent.  It has the benefits of simplicity
> > and robustness, since it doesn't require calling a postinst script
> > to run update-inetd with a specific (and limited) set of options.
> > The current approach relies of update-inetd being hugely complex,
> > when it really doesn't need to be.
> >

> Ideally we need something that isn't specific to the format of
> inetd.conf - last I checked some of our inetd's use different file
> formats (e.g. xinetd).

Totally agreed.  If we support a superset of all of the various
inetd configuration options, then it should be possible to
support all inetd implementations as first-class citizens
(e.g. xinetd).  Implementations can then feel free to ignore
options they can't support (such as the extended xinetd options,
or particular socket options).

The format needn't be that complex.  If we have one file per
package/service, it could just be a simple set of key-value
pairs.  Each inetd could provide their own update-inetd which
just parses the file and spits out their config.  Since most inetds
have a common format, it might make sense to have a package
providing this lowest common denominator implementation.

If we have a big comment at the top of the generated file
saying in effect "do not edit; edit /etc/inetd.conf.d/xxx and
run update-inetd", we shouldn't have too many problems.  It's
already done elsewhere.

Regards,
Roger

--