Re: inetd's status in Debian

On moandei 9 Maart 2009, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Just looking at the packages requiring an inet superserver, you'll see that
> it's probably that nowadays users don't need a superserver at all[0].
>
> I'm wondering if making super servers become optionnal wouldn't be a worthy
> goal for squeeze.

Yes, I think it would make sense to make them priority optional. Currently the
standard installation does not include any active services so inetd just
lingers around doing nothing. Demoting it to optional will do the right
thing, installing a super server just in time: when you're also installing
some package depending on it.

cheers,
Thijs