Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

Please don’t forward private replies to a public mailing list: this is
very rude behavior.

Le jeudi 26 février 2009 à 17:08 +0100, Joerg Schilling a écrit :
> **************
> If you are using a coding other than 7-Bit ASCII or ISO-8859-1, you need to
> properly declare your transfer encoding. Please fix your mail client!
> **************

The email you are replying to declares:

See? “charset=UTF-8”. I’m using a mail client that understands encodings
that have been developed less than 20 years ago.

> > Of course, since you are the author you can do whatever you want with
> > it. However, the restrictions you impose on redistribution don???t allow
> > us to distribute it as we want to.
>
> This is wrong: I don't impose any restriction that makes the original code
> undistributable. The fork however includes modifications that are incompatible
> with the requirements from the Copyright law and the GPL.

Repeating yourself over and over again is not going to make your claims
true.

> > I seriously doubt they can use any serious and modern frontend with the
> > version you are currently distributing.
>
> If you see problems with any frontend, you should make a bug report. The
> original software works as documented. If there is any frontend does not work, it
> has been broken and needs to be fixed.

Indeed, the frontends have all been fixed, by calling wodim instead of
cdrecord. And now they work as expected.

> There are many reports from people who replaced the fork by unmodified original
> software in order to finally be able to write CDs and DVDs.

Please forward us such reports of people doing that successfully within
Debian; this looks like a lot of fun. Not forgetting that distributing
such solutions would violate the licensing of several of the frontends.

> > > wodim still has a lot more bugs than the outdated original it was based on.
> >
> > Show them. Come on.
>
> I encourage you to read the Debian bug tracking system!

Sorry, but simple reports are not convincing without analysis. Please
show where the bugs come from, and explain why they don’t apply to
cdrecord.

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :