Re: ucf: Diversion of /u/b/ucf by etcgit

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22 2009, Jörg Sommer wrote:
>> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

>>> You cannot, since the very purpose of ucf is to give dpkg-conffile-like
>>> behavior for configuration files *not* shipped in the package.
>>
>> But I can get the files dpkg installs in /etc. That's enough for the
>> first step. I don't want to create an AI that does everything right. One
>> step after the other!
>
>         No, dpkg installs _nothing_ in /etc for ucf related files

Right, but your are mixing two different things. (1) I use the
hooks provided by apt to get the original files from the
package and the updated files after apt has done everything.
This has nothing to do with the ucf wrapper!

(2) And I use a wrapper for ucf to get the original file
supplied by the maintainer script.

>  The configurations files are isntalled by ucf (and you propose
>  disabling even that). So far from an artificial intelligence, you have
>  accomplished what I would consider an RC bug (breaks unrelated
>  packages justification).

But in this bug report you have to explain what broke. I please you,
don't wait and tell it me now. Tell me what breaks when I divert ucf to
ucf.etcgit and install this script as ucf:

#!/bin/sh

exec ucf.etcgit "$@"

Bye, Jörg.
--
NetBSD ist für Frauen: es läuft auf Waschmaschinen