Re: ucf: Diversion of /u/b/ucf by etcgit

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:09:52PM +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:

> >> the configuration files modified by the administrator are stored. The
> >> former branch is updated when ucf or apt-get is run. Then these

> >         How is the former branch updated with the new version, since you
> >  are using UCF_FORCE_CONFFOLD? The documented effect is to retain
> >  whatever was on the file system, no matter what.

> Therefore, I use the wrapper around ucf. The postinst script calls

> ucf <New File> <Destination>

> So I've the new file and know where it should go. I can update the file
> in the branch with the original files and then merge this branch with the
> local configuration branch and install this result underneath /etc. Then
> the real ucf can update it's database, but it should not touch the file
> I've put underneath /etc. It's

> save_original
> merge_with_current
> export UCF_FORCE_CONFFOLD=1
> ucf.etcgit "$@"

So this will leave the ucf db with a horribly incorrect view of the current
state of the config file, and if the user ever removes etcgit, there'll be
a real mess.

> >         Anything else should be reflected in a conflicts relationship
> >  between ucf and etckeeper, not a diversion, since the diversion does
> >  not actually maintain the functionality of ucf.

> Interesting idea. Etcgit could replace ucf. I'll think about it.

As a maintainer of packages that depend on ucf, I think that would be a
reason to conflict with etcgit in order to spare users the pain of the issue
above.