Re: Proposal of two new control fields: Build-Recommends and Build-Suggests [long reading]

Hi!

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 09:30:48 +0100, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
> Introduction of the new fields
> ==============================
>
> - Build-Recommends would list packages that are basically available in
> the Debian archive, but are not available on all architectures or for
> all kernels. [...]

> A famous example for this would be libasound2-dev, which is only
> available for Linux kernels. Currently a build-depends on this package
> has to look like this
>
> 	libasound2-dev [!hurd-i386 !kfreebsd-amd64 !kfreebsd-i386]
>
> to prevent apt from trying to install it on the non-Linux
> architectures where it is not available and thus would cause the build
> to fail. The new approach is as simple as moving libasound2-dev from
> Build-Depends to Build-Recommends.

What you actually want here is to use architecture wildcards, as in:

	libasound2-dev [linux-any]

this is documented in dpkg-architecture(1), and has been supported since
dpkg 1.13.13. debhelper also supports this since 5.0.36. Currently the
only missing piece I'm aware of is sbuild, but next upload to Debian
should support it (#501230). It'd be really nice to get that patch on
the buildds so that we could start using this in the archive.

regards,
guillem