Re: password-protected cgi-bin directory?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, sean finney wrote:

my advice is that you put the "cgi-bin" binaries in a directory solely for
your own package, i.e. /usr/lib/<pkg>/cgi-bin .  then you can set up a
default htaccess file and apache configuration under etc and leave it to the
admin to configure it (or do so via debconf if you want to be fancy).

Actually I personally like /usr/lib/<pkg>/cgi-bin but I'm not really
educated about htaccess files and apache configuration.  Any examples
laying around somewhere / pointers to docs which directly explain this
issue?

i would strongly recommend against putting anything in /usr/lib/cgi-bin,
as use of this directory should be deprecated[1].

Fine for me.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--