Re: Possibly excessive lintian warnings

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:

> How would OR'ed depends work?
>
> let us look at a example:
>
> package: kdepim-dbg
> depends: korganizer (= ${binary:Version})|kaddressbook (=${binary:version})
> version: 4.1.3-1
>
> now, I install korganizer 4.1.3-1 and kdepim-dbg.
> later, 4.1.3-2 gets uploadde and I install kaddressbook.
> korganizer still fulfills the kdepim-dbg version.
> thus, the user is not anywhere better satisfied than before.
>
> The only thing that would work would be if dpkg and apt supported
> Conflicts: korganizer (!= $binary:Version), but that is as far as I can
> read in policy not valid, so I also don't expect the tools to support
> it.

Your case is somewhat unusual in that you're providing debugging symbols
for a bunch of packages that are otherwise fairly unrelated and can be
installed with a mix of version numbers.  Most of the time, this is not
the case.  In your case, this is only marginally useful; it does ensure
that the user has at least one relevant package installed, but no more
than that.