Re: Possibly excessive lintian warnings

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:

> No. it actually wouldn't work.
>
> In kde, for example kdepim, contains applications like
>  - korganizer
>  - kaddressbook
>  - kmail
>  - kpilot
>
> With a -dbg package depending on all apps, the user will have to install
> all apps just for getting a backtrace for one application.

That's why the recommendation (which Lintian currently doesn't talk about;
will fix that) is that the debug package depend on the all of the
corresponding packages as alternatives.  (korganizer | kaddressbook
| kmail ...)  That way, you still get the checking that the version of the
debug package matches the version of the package for which it has debug
symbols, without the problem you cite.  This is what I've done for other
packages and it seems to work reasonably well.

(Lintian may still be confused due to the lack of similarity between the
package name and the debug package name, but we may be able to fix that.)