Mass bug filing: init script "status" action

Howdy debian-devel-

The LSB 3.1 specification [1] defines a 'status' action for
LSB-compliant init scripts.  Some high-availability (HA) packages
included in Debian expect to use a 'status' action as provided by the
init script [2] to query daemon status.  In general, such 'status'
actions in Debian would be broadly useful to both system administrators
and users.

The lsb-base 3.2-14 package adds a new library function
to /lib/lsb/init-functions; namely, status_of_proc() [3,4].  This
function can be used in the vast majority of init scripts to generically
provide an interface to gathering and reporting status.  Individual init
script patches often look something like:

+  status)
+       status_of_proc -p "$PIDFILE" "$DAEMON" "$NAME" && exit 0 || exit $?
+       ;;

As an example, see Debian Bug #492138 against rsync and the associated
patch [5].

Bug #208010 suggests LSB-compliance of all init scripts in Debian [6].
And Bug #291148 suggests a debian-policy change requiring 'status'
actions for all init scripts [7].  I believe that the new functionality
present in lsb-base provides a healthy framework for advancing such
'status' actions in a vast number of Debian init scripts.

In Ubuntu, we have undertaken an effort to patch as many such init
scripts as possible [8].  In most of these cases, we would like to
contribute this functionality back to the Debian package.  I believe
this flow of bugs and patches would qualify as a 'mass bug filing' [9].
So far, we filed a few bugs before it was suggested that we propose this
on the debian-devel mailing list:
 * 492126, 492131, 492138, 492541, 492625

Is it ok to continue filing these requests as wishlist bugs, or is
another approach preferred?

[1] http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptact.html
[5] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;filename=rsync.debian.patch;att=1;bug=492138
[8] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptStatusActions