Re: Multiarch and idea for improved diversions and alternatives handling

* Neil Williams

| Just a thought - why use /usr/lib/$ARCH and /usr/include/$ARCH at all
| when it would (IMHO) be simpler to use /usr/$TRIPLET/ and put the entire
| package under that, as we do with dpkg-cross currently:

How would you then handle libraries that go in /lib?  (Apart from the
fact that I think just using a subdirectory of /usr/lib is much neater
than random subdirectories in /usr.

| /usr/include/
| /usr/arm-linux-gnu/include/

Please note that the initial goal of multiarch at least has been just
running of packages from foreign architectures.  Not building them.

| multiarch could even add:
| /usr/share/
| /usr/arm-linux-gnu/share

Pardon my language, but this is crack.  The point of /usr/share is you
can share it between systems.  If you go down this route, just use a
chroot and some wrapper scripts to bounce between them instead.

[...]

| BTW I think it is a mistake to want to use /usr/lib/i386/ when it is
| entirely possible that multiarch users will actually need the full
| triplet - think about hurd or kfreebsd as multiarch packages.

I don't believe anybody has suggested using just /usr/lib/i386, but
rather /usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu?

--
Tollef Fog Heen