Re: Mixing dbconfig and gconf

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 21:39 +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008, Neil Williams wrote:

>  Ok, then one problem with it is that as soon as the user will have
>  gconf settings in place different from the default, any updates to the
>  default wont be visible anymore.  It all depends how you layer your
>  settings and all, but it's quite likely that either you hide the
>  settings or don't make use of GConf at all.

OK, I think I'm going to go with it only during immediate
problem-solving whilst fixing other stuff and find a better solution
that does not involve gconf once I've got other stuff fixed.

>  Say you install mysql, launch the IDE, configure a DB, install
>  postgresql, remove mysql, launch the IDE, want to configure a new DB:
>  you don't see the new settings.
>
>  Not quite sure you want GConf for such data passing though.

I'm beginning to agree - GConf probably isn't the right choice.

I'll find another cross-distribution settings mechanism - maybe see
about allowing the dbconfig file to be included in an "upstream" file
using the named.conf.local type mechanism.

--

Neil Williams