Re: Please focus on one generic spell checker in Debian

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Bernd Zeimetz]
> > I'm forwarding this orphaning bug to debian-devel as I hope this rises
> > the chances to find somebody who is willing to take care of ispell.
> > According to http://ficus-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell.html the version
> > in Debian is pretty outdated, also there's a number of bugs to triage...
>
> Given the limitations of ispell, I would instead urge us all to
> migrate all our packages to use for example hunspell and drop ispell
> completely from the distribution.  It would be a lot easier to
> maintain a dictionary in Debian if only one format of it needed to be
> generated, and it would be a lot easier to configure a desktop to use
> a given dictionary if only one package needed to be configured to use
> it.

I have no idea if it's trivially possible, but it would be ideal if
whatever spell checker we switched to had some sort of compatibility
layer for ispell to reduce the number of applications that are
affected by such a migration.

Don Armstrong

--
I learned really early the difference between knowing the name of
something and knowing something