Re: Handling of removed packages

Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> writes:

> ssh test-box
>  apt-get update
>  apt-get upgrade
>  tests
> ssh live-server
>  apt-get update
>  ... sometimes gets a slightly different package list

Oh, yes.  That's certainly true.

> The only time we use apt-get is as a convenience when testing different
> package versions.
>
> All packages on live servers and workstations are installed with "dpkg
> -i" to ensure we're using a tested combination.  We could manually copy
> the package lists or "apt-get install foo=x.y.z" but "dpkg -i" is more
> convenient.

Whatever works for you.  :)  We use aptitude for everything in production
and update the package lists nightly as part of our jobs to report which
packages are out of date, and have never had any problems with that.

I'd personally consider your method to be a poor time versus risk
tradeoff, but you may value your time lower and your risk higher than I
do.