Re: Handling of removed packages

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 01:24:59PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> The probably easiest way would be to make apt whine on all packages
> that are not available in any version at one of the locations
> specified in sources.list. This trivial solution sucks, because
> locally created packages [1] also fall in this category.

Thinking at why this solutions sucks (it does), it occurred to me that
the reason is we don't have a ready to use easy way to let our users
install packages "properly", that is: only via entries in sources.list.
This is way they^W are using "dpkg -i".

So, instead of looking for an alternative twisted solution, why we don't
fix this problem?

It looks like it would be enough to:

- add a pre-defined entry in the legacy /etc/apt/sources.list pointing
  to file:///some/where/

- (optional) provide a trivial helper script which takes as input a set
  of .deb or .dsc and installs them in /some/where/, invoking
  dpkg-scan{package,source}s as needed (getting

- (even more optional) wrap into a single command the above + an
  invocation of apt-get to install the just installed package(s)

I'm convinced that using apt entries is the way to go for installing
local packages, but out of the box it is just not convenient enough to
do that.

Comments?

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/