Re: Should dpkg-source -x list patches (Re: How to handle Debian patches)

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
>> I totally agree that we need to make our changes more visible. In the
>> openssl case, the patch in question is inside the .diff.gz and you don't
>> notice it in the unpacked source package. I tend to give a look to what's
>> in debian/patches/ when I rebuild a package but not to what's in .diff.gz
>> only.
>
> If I inspect an unknown package I always do
>
>     zgrep "^+++ " *.diff.gz | grep -v "/debian/"
>
> and I wonder whether I should file a bug report against "dpkg-source -x"
> to do this by default.

With the 3.0 quilt format, dpkg-source -x will list each patch that it
applies (and since the debian directory is stored in a tarball and not in
a .diff, it always means _real_ changes contrary to the v1 format where we
always see the line "applying ....diff.gz").

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog