Re: Should dpkg-source -x list patches (Re: How to handle Debian patches)

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 09:51 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > I totally agree that we need to make our changes more visible. In the
> > openssl case, the patch in question is inside the .diff.gz and you don't
> > notice it in the unpacked source package. I tend to give a look to what's
> > in debian/patches/ when I rebuild a package but not to what's in .diff.gz
> > only.
>
> If I inspect an unknown package I always do
>
>      zgrep "^+++ " *.diff.gz | grep -v "/debian/"
>
> and I wonder whether I should file a bug report against "dpkg-source -x"
> to do this by default.

lintian already has that level of check but it does have problems with
generated files, see #471263:

"Files that are changed as the result of a patch to a file that is
processed during the build should be ignored - e.g. patching
configure.in|ac should mean that changes in ./configure must be ignored."

Otherwise, as soon as autotools updates or an m4 macro gets updated in
some -dev package, the "patch" for ./configure will break for no good
reason and we get a FTBFS RC bug.

Detecting which files are changed as a by-product of a patch isn't
always particularly obvious.

Incidentally, you can collapse the zgrep into lsdiff -z:

$ lsdiff -z *.diff.gz | grep -v debian

--

Neil Williams