Re: swfdec0.6 buildd failure

Neil Williams wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 21:52 +0100, Jiří Paleček wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was looking at the swfdec0.6 package and wondered why it is unavailable
>> on almost all architectures.
>
> It only exists in experimental - packages in experimental *might* be
> autobuilt but the only way to be sure is to get the package in a fit
> state for unstable.

As you can see from the logs, the package was autobuilt, so that is not the
case.

>>  So I looked at the build logs and they
>> (almost) fail in a quite strange way. It seems apt installed a broken set
>> of packages (even though a package set satisfying the build-dependencies
>> was -probably- available).
>
> Probably? Are you able to build it using pbuilder yourself?

Just a disclaimer: I'm not a maintainer of the package, and I'm really not
gonna try pbuilder.

Probably: The logs are more than a week old by now, and I don't know if the
dependencies were really satisfiable at that point. However, it's hard to
imagine a situation where libglib2.0-0 (2.15.5-1) is available but
libglib2.0-dev (2.15.5-1) is not.

>> Is this a bug in APT?
>
> Probably not.
>
> It looks more like a feature of experimental, most of the logs I saw
> include this error:
>
> libglib2.0-dev: Depends: libglib2.0-0 (= 2.14.6-1) but 2.15.5-1 is to be
> installed
>
> i.e. one of your dependencies is also in experimental and therefore
> builds of your package try to use this experimental version which then
> fails because experimental is not a complete distribution.

Sorry, but this explanation is bogus. See:

debian:/usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9# apt-get install -d libglib2.0-dev
libglib2.0-0=2.15.6-1

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  libglib2.0-dev: Depends: libglib2.0-0 (= 2.14.6-1) but 2.15.6-1 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages

But, at the same time:

debian:/usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9# aptitude install -d libglib2.0-dev
libglib2.0-0=2.15.6-1

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
  libglib2.0-dev

 ... snip ...

  libglib2.0-dev: Depends: libglib2.0-0 (= 2.14.6-1) but 2.15.6-1 is to be
installed.
Resolving dependencies...

Upgrade the following packages:
libglib2.0-dev [2.14.0-2 (now) -> 2.15.6-1 (experimental)]

Score is -9980

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q

So apt-get failed where aptitude found a (straightforward) solution in a
situation, which seems to be quite similar to what is in the logs.

Regards
    Jiri Palecek