Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:11:16 -0500, David Nusinow <dnusinow@speakeasy.net> said:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:31:10PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:34:55 +1100, Ben Finney
>> <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> said:

>> > Is this (the integration branch and its history of changes) not the
>> > linear sequence of changes that David Nusinow is asking for?
>>
>> No, it is not. I Apply a update to feature A. The comes an upstream
>> update. Then updates on feature B, a patch that needed conflict
>> resoution, then patches on branches C, D, and A again. Another
>> upstream change.
>>
>> At this point, none of the original patches to A, B, and C apply any
>> more -- and then come another upstream update, and all the patches
>> get even more bent out of shape.

> At this point, before you're ready to release, you regenerate the
> patches.  Then they apply just fine. Nothing gets bent out of shape
> and you don't include old code in your patch that's now incorporated
> upstream, you just make an appropriate diff that applies cleanly to
> your source package. I don't see what the problem is here and why you
> believe this can't be done.

        Sure, I can re-generate the patches: but then I have to do all
 the integration work that I did for the integration branch over the
 years, and I have to do this over and over and over again every single
 darn package upload.

        And why am I doing all this busy work?

        A compromise would be to provide a patch for each pure fearure
 branch, along with the giant diff -- this can be automated.  But these
 individual patches will not apply in sequence unless the manual
 integration work is done again -- which is not something I am willing
 to do for every package upload.

        manoj

--
#else /* !STDSTDIO */ /* The big, slow, and stupid way */ --Larry Wall
#in str.c from the perl source code