Re: Debian Configuration Packaging System

I'll note that we wrap our dpkg-divert calls with a bunch of error-handling code that we found quite important for correctly recovering from people hitting ^C in the middle of installation (see <http://debathena/config-packages/code/config-package-dev-4.2/divert.sh.in> for the code). Earlier iterations that did not do this were plagued with problems whenever there were errors in installation.

We also ran into a few packages which will overwrite configuration files that they manage via debconf, overwriting our symlink every time the relevant package is upgraded. But I think that's a bug in those Debian packages, since the same problem would occur for any manual changes to those configuration files as well (I think in the cases I've seen it is a failure to check whether an upgrade is occuring when generating the configuration file in postinst).

What other problems have you experienced?

	-Tim Abbott