Re: Looking for co-maintainer for mercurial

William Pitcock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 12:30 +0100, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
>>>  There are many good DD's around the "Python Applications Packaging
>>>  Team" and the "Debian Python Modules Team", because generally,
>>>  this is a Python program, so they may help with many python related issues.
>> Any news on this? Do you agree with me importing to package to
>> Python Applications Packaging Team (PAPT) and changing it's maintainer to PAPT?
>>
>> Ondrej
>
> I disagree because mercurial is a very specific tool, and needs to be
> maintained by people who care about mercurial specifically. But if that
> is what Vincent wants to do, then that's fine.

I'm already in the perl teams and, even if I did not know about the PAPT, I
think it is similar. I mean that I think that even if the package is maintained
within a team, specific work about one package will be done by the few members
that care about it.
The PAPT will be add value when python transitions occurs or similar 'global'
event in the python world.

This is why I asked to be added in the PAPT. Piotr Ożarowski just added me
in this alioth project and I plan to upload the current version of mercurial
in the SVN today or tomorrow.

If it happens that someone willing to work on mercurial packaging (such as
William Pitcock) were denied the access to the PAPT on the ground that they
do not do other python work, I will reconsider my decision and move mercurial
elsewhere (probably in the collab-maint alioth project). But until evidence of
that, I consider that PAPT admins are quite reasonable and that hosting mercurial
in the PAPT alioth project will add a little more value that in the collab-maint
project.
And, to answer to a private suggestion, I do not think at all that creating a
specific alioth project for mercurial is interesting : there already exist
several uptream ML to discuss development, an upstream BTS, several upstream
repo, ... So I do not see any benefice to create a new alioth project.

  Best regards,
    Vincent