Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:09:03PM +0100, sean finney wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008 05:22:08 pm Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > > Yes, just like I want to have feature branches instead of one gigantic
> > > debian branch.
> >
> >         I use my CSM to provide me the changeset:
> >   baz  diff <branch A> <upstream>
> >
> >         Indeed, I can get diffs between branch A and branch B -- how do
> >  you do that using quilt?  Get diffs between arbitrary branches? Trivial
> >  using my scheme.
>
> we discussed this on irc, but for posterity i'll say it here too:
>
> the you could think of each individual quilt patch as a "feature diff", thus
> the quilt equivalent of a "feature branch" would be the (ideally) pristine
> source plus the diff in question.  so you have explicitly the comparison
> between the feature branch and the source by opening the quilt patch in a
> pager.  to compare the "feature branches" with each other, you could just do
> something like "interdiff patch1 patch2".

The difference here being that feature branches are, in my experience,
changes against the pristine upstream source.  The merging of different
feature branches is done in some integration branch.  Quilt patches are
a dependent series where the merging of changes is inherent in the patch
ordering.  Thus it's easier to get an "upstream ready" patch from $vcs
than from a series of interdependent patches.

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>