Re: Meaning of the "Altering package upload rules"

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 06:41:57PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in> ha scritto:
> > I was wondering how to interpret the GR altering upload rules
> > (http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_002) in practical terms.
>
> This is the relevant bit, I think:
>
> /---
> | Text
> |
> | Choice 1.
> | The actual text of the resolution is as follows. Please note that
> | this does not include preludes, prologues, any preambles to the
> | resolution, post-ambles to the resolution, abstracts, fore-words,
> | after-words, rationales, supporting documents, opinion polls,
> | arguments for and against, and any of the other important material
> | you will find on the mailing list archives. Please read the
> | debian-vote mailing list archives for details.
> |
> | General Resolution: Altering package upload rules
> |
> | The Debian project resolves that Debian developers allowed to
> | perform combined source and binary packages uploads should be
> | allowed to perform binary-only packages uploads for the same set
> | of architectures.
> \---
>
> But... where is the "actual text of the resolution" mentioned? I can't even
> find that.

It's "as follows", meaning it's the paragraph directly after that one.
In other words, it's the one you also quoted.

> > I suppose this means that one can upload a <pkg-ver>_multi.changes
> > file containing <pkg-ver>_<arch>.deb for multiple values
> > of <arch> providing one has access to all these architectures.

No.  Whether that is possible is a technical thing.  It only says that
the fact that I am allowed to upload a source+some_arch package means that I
should also be allowed to do a some_arch bin-only upload.

> > Does it also mean that one can (later) do a binary-only upload
> > of a <pkg-ver>_<arch>.changes providing that the package
> > has not yet been built on the buildd's for <arch>? (Providing
> > that one is building from the same sources, of course!)

Yes, it effectively means that developers should be allowed to use their
own machines as buildds if they want.

> But I'd like to know where is the full text of the GR (or probably I'm
> just missing the obvious location).

You quoted it.  It wasn't very long. :-)

> (I'm CCing you because you said you're not subscribed; please tell me if you
> wish otherwise)

I told mutt to do a list-reply, and appearantly there were no headers
telling it to keep that Cc, so I'll assume he's reading the archives (as
he said). :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html