Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:33:54AM -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:40:14 Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > I've already changed my /bin/sh and I've found very very few
> > broken/missbehaving scripts.
> > And as a great pro my boot time is more than 50% faster now, not to mention
> > that the overall /bin/sh scripts run faster now.
>
> On *production* Debian systems, saving 30 seconds in a boot
> which may occur once a year for a kernel security update is
> not worth a single broken script, nor a single failed backup,
> nor a single lost data bit.

And what about Debian desktops, booted up once per day?  What about home
machines?

What about every single shell script?  A glance at /usr/bin:

shell	171
perl	182
python	 15
ELF	658

That's a sizeable percentage.  Depending on your workload, you can get a
noticeable speedup.  This won't matter for number crunching, but for e.g.
compilation, you'll often see speedups of over 10% -- mostly due to
configure and make.  That's not something to shake a stick at.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be