Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:30:40 +0100, Sven Mueller <debian@incase.de> said:

> On another note, I have a slight problem with the (other) proposal of
> using a (git/$DVCS) repository as the form of source package
> distribution. Mainly because I think this will usually add
> bloat. While developing/packaging, I often see intermediate commits
> which need to be heavily modified or even reverted to finally build
> the patch I wanted to get working. Though these commits are fine in
> the Repository, I wouldn't want to see all the intermediate steps in
> the source package.

        I take it that you do not use sloppy branches to do
 development.  I can see why you generate cruft in the repo. I generally
 do my development in a sloppy branch, which is in a private repo.  When
 things work as I like, I then refactor patches from the sloppy branch
 into a feature branch  (I have a catch-all features branch for stuff
 that is small and unlikely to make it into upstream). Each commit into
 a feature branch can be clean -- and then merged forward into the
 integration branch immediately.

        This way, all th cruft lies in the sloppy branch, which I then
 dump.

        manoj
--
Real Programmers don't write in PL/I.  PL/I is for programmers who can't
decide whether to write in COBOL or FORTRAN.