Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 08:21:44AM +0000, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> [2008.01.27.0505 +1100]:
> >   Seconded. I'd add, that in fact we should standardize on quilt
> >   as an exchange format for patches, because it's simple, and that
> >   there are powerful tools to handle them.
>
> Except those patches contain no VCS-specific data, like the author.
> In relation to licencing issues, I think it's especially interesting
> to have the ability to cherry-pick and keep the original committer
> info unchanged. I'd say what we really want is a way to cherry-pick
> between different VCS, and a higher-level wrapper on top of all VCS
> implementing a generic, cross-distro workflow.

  FWIW I export my patches in an almost quilt compatible way (ls -1 >
series and that would be true), using git format-patch, hence retaining
VCS informations.

  Using quilt as an exchange format doesn't mean that you should strip
off VCS metadatas (for the clever ones that supports it). Git works the
same with a series of patches with authoring information. That's carved
into its design.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit