Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:06:04PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> No, I said "rebase" and not merge.
> See http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-rebase.html
>
> (Note that this means that nobody should derive from upstream-patched as
> the branch is regularly rewritten and one can't branch and later merge
> from it)

Dear Raphael,

Here is where I want some explanation. Assume that my simple branches
are:

upstream: Pure upstream sources right from the orig.tar.gz
master: Debian packaging on top of upstream (mostly ONLY debian/
directory addition in comparison to upstream).

In this simplistic case, should I have a new upstream version, should
I update my upstream branch and merge it into master, or rebase
master? While rebasing ensures that all my changes apply over the new
upstream release, what is the reason I shouldn't merge?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I would love to get this right.

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,