Re: -Wl,--as-needed considered possibly harmful

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 17:52 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:53:16AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > That's upstream covered, it appears I also need debian/libqof1.symbols
> > from http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/mole/seedsymbols ? If I had done
> > symbol versioning correctly upstream, shouldn't dpkg-shlibdeps be able
> > to create the necessary data itself? I don't provide a .shlib file of
> > my own at this stage.
>
> The symbols files are orthogonal to symbol versioning.  Symbols files are
> basically "per-function shlibs", which are applicable even to libs that
> don't use symbol versioning; their main benefit is for libraries which make
> backwards-compatible ABI changes.

In which case I should have been supporting symbols files since v0.6.0
because that is exactly what I've been doing in this package for the
last two years or more - adding new functions, deprecating the old ones,
collecting all the changes into one transition to the next SONAME. Not
sure why the sample symbols file showed the same version for all
functions - quite a lot were simply not present in 0.6.0. Ne'er mind.

It's a bit late now (I'm preparing for a SONAME bump where all those
backwards-compatible layers are removed) but I'll implement it in the
new version to allow tracking of future backwards-compatible ABI
changes.

Thanks.

--

Neil Williams