Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

Le mardi 01 janvier 2008 à 15:24 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :
> Ubuntu discovered this a while back, and introduced a method to avoid
> calling stop scripts in runlevel 0 and 6.  It is the "multiuser"
> extension to update-rc.d, and in Ubuntu packages are changed to calls
> dh_installinit with '-- multiuser' as an argument to enable it.  This
> add the "multiuser" argument (instead of to the "default" argument) to
> update-rc.d, which go on and set up the boot sequence without
> references to the script in runlevel 0 and 6.  This can be done
> without such extention, and how is the topic of the rest of my email.

Frankly I couldn’t imagine a worse idea to fix this problem.

Many daemons will corrupt their state if they aren’t killed cleanly.
Leaving them a grace time is actually worse than simply cutting the
power, because you can be sure the daemon is actually writing some data
at the moment you kill it.

The most funny thing comes from daemons which depend on each other. You
will easily hit cases where a daemon will not shut down properly because
it cannot find the one that depends on it, and in the end increase the
shutdown time instead of shortening it.

Let’s just switch to a parallel init system, and the Ubuntu wannabees
will win their precious few seconds without risking to introduce data
corruption bugs on production systems.

--
 .''`.