Re: Please don't list available translations in the package description

Bah, sorry about the previous mail, sent it before it was finished.

On pe, 2007-12-07 at 15:28 +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Friday 7 December 2007 11:52, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > If we want to implement a feature such that we can see what packages are
> > localised for a given language, that should be done differently, most
> > likely by building a database scanning what .po files are present in the
> > source package.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to use a new debtags class like Localised-for:: to
> store this information, and then use technique you describe to automatically
> create those tags? The whole tag infrastructure already exists and seems very
> suited to the kind of queries one would do on this information (e.g.: mail
> client with console interface localised in Dutch and French).

Number of packages: 20 000
Number of languages we can expect to support in most packages: 10(*)
strlen("Localized-for: xx"): 17
Overhead per Packages file: 3.2 MiB

Since the goal is, as far as I understand it, to include translations
for as many languages as possible, and almost all packages will include
translations for all of the major languages, repeating the same ones for
every package is very wasteful of space. Thus, I think it should not be
done. A better way to express the information is needed.

(*) English, French, German, Spanish (at least one variant), Portuguese,
Italian, Russian, Hindi, Japanese, Korean. In the long run, the list
will probably be quite a bit longer.