Re: Proposalto introduce compiler options passed from dpkg-buildpackage

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:50:15PM +0100, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 05:08:13PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > === Alternate naming of the macros ===
> >
> > Do omit the '''DEB_HOST_''' prefix and all packages should honour the
> > value of CFLAGS etc. in the environment. Many packages are likely to
> > do this by accident anyway. For packages that set CFLAGS etc., there
> > are basically two common cases:
> [...]
> > It has the disadvantage that these macros might be injected into the
> > build for some non-standard build systems.
>
> If we would choose to use the common names without DEB_HOST_ prefix
> should dpkg-buildpackage then honor them if they are already set in
> the environment? Probably not as this seems error prone.

FWIW, I suggested this because I think it's a lot less work to fix up
the specific packages that get this sort of thing wrong than to enhance
nearly every package in the archive to support a whole new environment
variable naming scheme, go round checking that they support all the
things you care about (since you'd have to deal with them all
individually, support special debian/rules fragments to do this for
evermore, and so on. It just seems an order of magnitude less work to
say "thou shalt honour CFLAGS etc. if they're set in the environment",
and much more in line with how build systems often already work.

What possible errors are you thinking of, other than "debian/rules fails
to honour a certain variable" (i.e. the status quo)? I can't really
think why you'd set CFLAGS in the environment without wanting it to be
honoured.