Re: Proposalto introduce compiler options passed from dpkg-buildpackage

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:11:53 +0100, Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> said:

> Frank Lichtenheld writes:
>> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 05:08:13PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> > We define a set of macros which are passed from dpkg-buildpackage
>>
>> If you say "macros" you mean the same as environment variables?

> IIRC we cannot assume that debian/rules is a makefile and pass them as
> macros directly, so we have to pass them as environment variables.

        I think you remember incorrectly. Policy currently states

4.9. Main building script: `debian/rules'

     This file must be an executable makefile, and contains the
     package-specific recipes for compiling the package and building binary
     package(s) from the source.

        Also, note that other parts of policy also refer to the rules
 being a makefile:

4.6. Error trapping in makefiles

     When `make' invokes a command in a makefile (including your package's
     upstream makefiles and `debian/rules'), it does so using `sh'.

        So we can pass the macros directly on the command line, if you
 so desire.

        manoj
--
You don't have to know how the computer works, just how to work the
computer.