Re: xinetd is a viable inet-superserver

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Nov 29, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
>> - create a /etc/inetd.d directory
> Wrong approach. Write an update-inetd replacement which can maintain its
> own database and can compare it to an existing configuration to know if
> the local admin changed something.

I don't see a great difference here, to be honest, since both achieve
the same end.

- Your approach is opaque to the user, allowing direct editing of the
  non-conffile /etc/inetd.conf with rather complex parsing and
  comparison code.
- My approach is non-opaque to the user, requiring editing of a
  inet.d/service file for each service, but with a trivial parser
  which will be both understandable and maintainable.

The former approach is nicer in theory, but I do have to wonder why we
haven't done so already.  My guess is that it's rather difficult and
no one cared enough to devote the effort.  But, we do need to do
something--the current approach is not good enough IMO.

>> IIRC I did mention something along these lines for consideration
> So I probably already told you that you were wrong.

A detailed explanation of why would be helpful.  I'd like to
understand your rationale.

Thanks,
Roger

--