Re: Shared libraries, dependencies and symbols files

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007, Riku Voipio wrote:
> > > Is it possible to compare this data against unofficial kfreebsd-(i386|amd64)
> > > and armel ports in http://ftp.gnuab.org/debian/ [1] ? Armel port is
> > > softfloat, and thus libraries using floats can end up exporting
> > > inlined softfloat math functions.
>
> > Honestly, I have spent too much time on this project already and I'd
> > rather have some help instead of giving me more work...
>
> Fair enough. Do you have a todo-list where to pick up tasks from?

Not really, on the code and dpkg side, everything is done except merging
in the master branch (which is for RSN, this evening if all goes well).

The new dpkg contains updated documentation for dpkg-shlibdeps and
dpkg-gensymbols, but we'll need some generic documentation with best
practices and explanations on how to handle the various cases.
I suggest we start with a wiki page for this. Summarizing what has already
been said here would be a good start.
http://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles

But I was merely suggesting you to run dpkg-gensymbols on a few
kfreebsd-*, armel packages and compare to the symbols files that I already
generated to check if the exported symbol sets are the same and if not to
explain the difference. Maybe there are some public symbols that are
created/used by the toolchain and which are of no interest for symbols
files (in which I shall blacklist them on my side). (Or maybe there are
bugs in the respective toolchains)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog