apt-transport-https: transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining during update

Hi, I have a strange problem with apt-get over https:// protocol

I built apt-0.7.2 from source, for debian etch, because
apt-transport-https was not included in the repository.

Most of the time, apt-get update and apt-get upgrade work fine over
HTTP://, but what I've noticed is that after I change the .debs on the
repository, rescan the Packages, etc, then my next apt-get updates
fail.

Sometimes it looks like this:

Get:1 https://update.presinet.com testing/ Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 https://update.presinet.com testing/ Translation-en_US [189B]
Ign https://update.presinet.com testing/ Translation-en_US
Hit https://update.presinet.com testing/ Release [869B]
Err https://update.presinet.com testing/ Release
Get:3 https://update.presinet.com testing/ Release [869B]
Ign https://update.presinet.com testing/ Release
Ign https://update.presinet.com testing/ Packages/DiffIndex
Ign https://update.presinet.com testing/ Packages
Hit https://update.presinet.com testing/ Packages [17.4kB]
Fetched 18.5kB in 1s (10.6kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

As you can see, it hits the source, tries to get, and shows Err,
and then Ign. If I run it a few more times, eventually it will show me
at the end:

transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining

It never gets the package list.

I do not have a workaround for this yet, because I don't understand
how apt-get update works well enough yet. The error message above is
from libcurl, I know that.

If I edit  my sources.list to get from another https:// source,
apt-get update, and switch back, update again, it works!

Which makes me think that apt keeps some sort of state information
that needs to be cleared for update to work again. Am I correct? Is
there a file or directory I can wipe out between updates to prevent
this from happening in the future?