Re: Looking for new FTP assistants

Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> writes:
> Sam Hocevar wrote:

>> The tasks
>> ---------

> [...]

> what about override adjustments? I have packages where I've fixed
> clearly wrong overrides and was answering many times the automatic
> 'override disparity' mails without any answer for years.

Seconded.  Someone who was willing to clean up all the overrides (and
maybe while they're at it work out a general policy for extra vs. optional
and discuss it here and then implement it) would be awesome.

There are always going to be some edge cases, but I can think of several
straightforward guidelines:

 * Most *-dev packages should be extra.
 * All *-dbg packages should be extra.
 * Everything in oldlibs should be extra.
 * All transitional packages should be in oldlibs.

etc.  Oh, and deciding whether doc packages go in doc or in the same
category as the software they're documenting and then enforcing that
consistently would also be great.

People really do use both package priorities and sections still for
selecting packages in the package management tools, and it would be great
to have them fixed.