Re: [Help] Autoconf problems when trying to build WordNet 3.0 package

"Sergei Golovan" <sgolovan@gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/27/07, Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> The puzzling thing to me about this situation is what is expected
>> to set TK_PREFIX.  "grep TK_PREFIX" in the wordnet directory
>> shows TK_PREFIX being used, but never defined anywhere.  "grep
>> TK_PREFIX" in /usr/share/aclocal shows no hits at all.
>>
>> Ditto for TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC.
>>
>> What do you expect to set TK_PREFIX and TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC?
>
> They are to be set by /usr/lib/tcl8.4/tclConfig.sh and
> /usr/bin/tk8.4/tkConfig.sh. But something in configure process went
> wrong.

OK, I can see now that /usr/lib/tk8.4/tkConfig.sh sets TK_PREFIX
in the environment of "configure".  But what is meant to
propagate this environment variable into the Makefile?  I don't
see anything intended to do that.  Autoconf does not
automatically propagate all environment variables from
"configure" into Makefiles (nor should it).

It looks to me like there's a missing piece in the build system.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org