Re: transition of packages into testing

On to, 2007-06-21 at 17:01 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> 1) How can I request for a new build on ia64? or will it happen
> automatically?

This is outside my area of expertese, but I would assume that the
buildds don't automatically re-try a failed build. Instead, they'll wait
for the package to change, hopefully for the better. Most problems are
due to bugs in the package. Automatic re-trying would make sense for
problems in the buildds themselves, but those are fortunately pretty
uncommon.

The thing to do, then, is to figure out what the actual problem is, and
then either fix it in the package or ask the buildd admins to re-try the
build.

> 2) How can I test the packages for these architectures when I dont have
> access to machines with these processors?

If you're a DD, you should have access to all or most architectures we
support. (In theory, all of them, but sometimes we fall short of that
goal.) If you're not, then see http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi if
there are any machines of the desired architectures that are accessible
by non-DDs, or ask here or on one of the architecture specific lists if
someone can provide access to one. Or see if there's an emulator
available you could run on your own system.

--
Maailma olisi parempi paikka, jos kaikilla olisi häntä kertomassa mitä
kuuluu.